Welcome to Hutchinson Community College, an institution that has a reputation for excellence that spans 80 years. Evolving from a traditional "junior college" to a full service community college/vocational school, HCC serves nearly 5,000 credit students every semester with a like number of individuals involved in community service and non-credit activities.
HCC Vision Statement
Hutchinson Community College will be the premier, two-year educational institution in Kansas, delivering accessible opportunities for learning, growth and improved quality of life.
HCC Mission Statement
Expanding the tradition of excellence through learning and collaboration.
Hutchinson Community College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association.
Higher Learning Commission, North Central Association
The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) is part of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA). NCA, founded in 1895, is one of six regional institutional accreditors in the United States. Through its Commissions it accredits, and thereby grants membership to educational institutions in the North Central region: Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, New Mexico, South Dakota, Wisconsin, West Virginia, and Wyoming. HLC is recognized by the US Department of Education and the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
This catalog is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a contract. Every reasonable effort was made to ensure that all information contained herein is accurate. Hutchinson Community College reserves the right, at any time, to change graduation requirements, costs, curricula and content, without notice. The college further reserves the right to add or delete course offerings and other information without notice. Information about changes is available from college counselors and advisors or on the college website.
In the spring of 1928, Hutchinson voters approved the establishment of a two-year co-educational college to be known as the Hutchinson Junior College. The college held its first classes that fall. Enrollment was 187 students – 172 freshmen, 15 sophomores. Classes were held on the second and third floors of a newly constructed addition to Hutchinson High School at Seventh and Walnut.
In February 1938, the Board of Education acquired land on Plum Street and built Lockman Hall. Since then, a technical education building, athletic field, stadium, tennis courts, maintenance and warehouse buildings, a student union with two additions, two residence halls, a library, science building, fine arts building and an athletic complex have been added to the campus. The college also utilizes the Hutchinson Sports Arena, providing maintenance of the building in exchange for its use.
On July 1, 1965, the college's name was changed to Hutchinson Community Junior College and governance was transferred to an elected board of trustees. The name was changed again in 1980 to Hutchinson Community College.
In 1966, the John F. Kennedy Library and Kopke Science Hall were completed.
In the fall of 1967, Elland Hall and Kent Hall, residence halls for men and women were opened.
In April 1970, the college acquired 425 acres of land and buildings from the Hutchinson Air National Guard. They are used primarily for agricultural, emergency medical science, fire science, building construction and technical education courses. This location is called South Campus.
A wing was added to Lockman Hall in 1975. The college acquired Davis Hall (Ninth and Walnut) from Hutchinson Hospital Corporation in 1980. It is used for allied health curricula, Radio Kansas (HCC's public radio station), Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP), Kansas Small Mine Safety and Occupational Safety.
Stringer Fine Arts Center was opened in January of 1989.
On July 1, 1993, HCC merged with the local vocational school and was renamed Hutchinson Community College and Area Vocational School. The and Area Vocational School was removed from the name in 2012.
Another major addition to the Parker Student Union was completed in 1996.
In 1999 the college built the Shears Technology Center, which houses vocational programs and technical labs.
On April 27, 2003, after major renovation, the library was renamed the Rimmer Learning Resource Center, after John Rimmer, chairman of HUBCO and a major contributor to the college.
In the fall of 2006, a renovated Gowan's Stadium was reopened for use. The stadium plays host to a variety of high school, college, regional and national events.
In 2008, the Reno County Industrial Center was renovated and expanded. The new facility was reopened in the fall and renamed the Ade-Wifco RCIC to recognize the contributions of Fred Ade and Wifco Corporation.The college continued to renovate and expand with the completion of a major renovation and construction project on the decades-old Science Hall.
The facility was revamped into a modern scientific facility and was renamed the Richard E. Smith Science Center to recognized the major contributions of local entrepreneur and alumnus Richard Smith. The new facility was dedicated in the fall of 2010.
The college has two off-campus sites: McPherson and Newton. The Newton site is housed in the Axtell Educational Center, which opened in 2008. The new McPherson site, located near the intersection of Highway 135 and Highway 56, opened in 2010.
Applicants for admission and employment, students, employees, sources of referral of applicants for admission and employment, and all unions or professional organizations holding collective bargaining or professional agreements with Hutchinson Community College (HCC) are hereby notified that this Institution is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnic or national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information, religion, age, ancestry, disability, military status, or veteran status in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs and activities. Further, it is the policy of HCC to prohibit harassment (including sexual harassment and sexual violence) of students and employees. Any person having inquiries concerning HCC's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Section 504, and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act is directed to contact the person identified below who has been designated to coordinate the Institution's efforts to comply with the regulations implementing these laws.
Jacob Grant Gunden
Coordinator of Equity & Compliance
Coordinator of Assessment Services
Hutchinson Community College
1300 North Plum
Hutchinson, KS 67501
Phone: (620) 665-3512
Fax: (620) 728-8155