Credit by ExaminationReference Number: 1008 Effective Date: 2021/03/22
The intent of credit by examination is to offer a method for students to demonstrate previously mastered competencies and to assist students in completion of educational goals at Hutchinson Community College. Credit awarded by examination at HutchCC may not transfer to other post secondary institutions. HutchCC does not accept credit awarded by departmental examination from other post secondary institutions.
Students may earn college credit by attaining qualifying scores on the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), the Advanced Placement (AP) exams administered by the College Entrance Examination Board, International Baccalaureate (IB), and HutchCC Departmental Exams.
Credit earned by examination will be placed on the student's HutchCC transcript after the start of the student's first semester of coursework at HutchCC. A grade of "CR" will be placed on the transcript but will not be included in calculating grade point average. The credit will count toward a degree at HutchCC.
College Level Examination Program (CLEP) (CLEP Courses) (National Standardized Exams)
CLEP is a series of examinations that allow students to show their knowledge in a wide range of subject areas. College credit is awarded for attaining certain scores on selected CLEP examinations. For more information about taking CLEP examinations, visit the CLEP website at http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/about.html or contact the Hutchinson Community College Student Success Center at 1-800-289-3501 or locally at 620- 665-3359.
A list of CLEP examinations for which HutchCC awards credit. Students must request their official transcript of CLEP scores be mailed to the HutchCC Registrar.
Advanced Placement Examinations (AP) (AP Courses)
AP refers specifically to courses offered in some high schools which are constructed and coordinated under the supervision of the College Entrance Examination Board. Before entering college, the student takes the examination, which is scored by Educational Testing Service. Students must request their official transcript of AP scores be mailed to the HutchCC Registrar. (Link to AP exams and HutchCC equivalents )
International Baccalaureate Examinations (IB) (IB Courses)
Hutchinson Community College awards credit to students who have participated in an International Baccalaureate program and have attained examination scores consistent with the guidelines available at (IB exams and HutchCC equivalents ). Students must request their official transcript of IB scores be mailed to the HutchCC Registrar.
Procedure Credit by Exam CLEP, AP IB
- The student requests official CLEP/AP/IB transcripts be sent directly to the HutchCC Records Office in accordance with official guidelines (http://www.hutchcc.edu/records/transcript-sent-to-HCC).
- A grade of “CR” is placed on the HutchCC transcript for all courses accepted by HutchCC.
Students may earn credit for HutchCC courses by passing an examination given by the appropriate HutchCC Department. To qualify to take a departmental exam, the student must be currently enrolled at HutchCC. Credit by departmental examination will not be awarded to students of high school standing. HutchCC does not accept credit awarded by departmental examination from other institutions.
The student must first verify with the appropriate HutchCC Department/Program that the course is subject to credit by departmental examination. The student will work with the department's representative to complete the Procedure Checklist and Approval Form for Credit by Departmental Examination. A student applying for credit by departmental examination must show acceptable background qualifications as determined by the HutchCC Department/Program. The student must pay the Credit by Departmental Examination non-refundable fee. The examination will not be administered until payment is verified. The HutchCC Registrar will transcript the credit, if awarded, as Credit (CR) no earlier than the beginning of the student's first semester of coursework at HutchCC.
Procedure Credit by Departmental Examination
- Contact advisor or program coordinator to confirm a departmental exam is available. The course(s) that qualify for credit by departmental examination have been preselected within the department.
- Student and departmental exam instructor fill out the Approval Form for Credit by Departmental Examination (see Appendix) form and determine eligibility.
- Pay Business Office the $35.00 Credit by exam fee.
- Student schedules time and date to take the common departmental course exam and instructor verifies payment.
- Upon completion of the exam the instructor indicates credit or no credit, signs the form, and forwards it to the Department Chairperson that the course resides with.
- Department Chairperson signs form and sends it to the Registrar.
- Course grade is transcripted after the start of the first semester at Hutchinson Community College.